Best MAC Lipstick for.....

Okay lovely readers.

I've been doing a little blog research today, and it seems people are obsessed, yes, obsessed with MAC Lipsticks.

People want to know what MAC Lipstick will suit a fair skin / Dark skin / NC30 skin / Best bridal MAC lipstick.
The list is endless!

So, I have compiled a little list of the ones I tend to use most on jobs. The ones that suit certain skin tones more, the most popular among brides and so on.

For the purpose of this post, Im not going to take photographs of me wearing them. Im not a huge fan of the close up lip in photographs any how... so I have swatched some onto white paper and the ones that didn't take too well due to lighting or low pigment I have just taken a picture of the bullet.

Bear in mind, when you go to a MAC store don't assume the colour in the bullet, is going to look the same on your lip. The colour will look different on everyone because you natural lip colour will alter it.

So, please try the colour on before you purchase! I've kept this post very MAC product orientated. So I'm going to be cross - referencing the colour alongside MAC foundation colours, as this seems to be how people are searching for their perfect MAC lipstick.
Ie. Best MAC lipstick for NC30.




Fair skins NW10 / NW15 / NC15 / NW20 / NC20
Now this could be a long list! You have to take into account how strong you want the colour. Do you want a natural daytime lipstick, or are you veering more towards an evening colour?

Natural on fair skin -
I love Creme cup. Soft pink. Its a Cremesheen, so looks rich and glossy.
Myth - This is very light. Think of concelaer on your lips. I dont use this very often. It does look nice on fair skins when you have gone for a very dark, smokey eye. Try a little trick of buffing some on with a brush. Like the MAC #217, rather than using it straight from the bullet.
I find it flatters the fairest of skin. It is very dry on the lips, so either pop a little gloss on top or go for the Cremesheen version - Creme de  Nude. Gorgeous on fair skins, to DIE for on alabaster skin.
Other populars are:
Shy girl ( Beige, glossy nude )
Please me ( Matte, soft pink )
Blankety ( Amplified, pink brown nude )




I'm sure you have heard me rant before how fair skins and dark skins always seem to cop out in makeup. Even the bigger makeup companies like to think they cater for all, when alot of their colour ranges (especially limited editions) will still only have one or two colours that will suit a darker or lightest of skins.

Well, I feel lipsticks wise, we have just as much range to choose from, you just have to be bold enough to try them.
Fair skins look immense with strong colours on the lips. The contrast is so flattering, you rarely need any other makeup product on.

So come on Snow White! ( I am NW10 too ) lets do this. Get yourself down to your local MAC store and try these:

Ruby Woo. Amazing, pillar box red. Completely matte. Fabulous on ALL SKINS. Fair skins, its stunning.
Lady Danger - Amplified - Orange / Red. Stunning. Im still unsure if only MAC stores now sell it, or if it is limited to MAC Pro stores. I will find out for you!
Rebel - Oh wow, this is like a dark purple plum, amazing on fair skins.
Girl about Town - Amplified colour - Pink/Purple
Candy yum yum! - This is BACK! Permanent. Matte-neon pink. Sells out everywhere !

Don't shy away from the bright colours, they look seriously amazing on you!

Medium skin tones / olive skin tones / Asian - Indian - NC25 / NC30 / NC35/ NW25 / NW30 /NW35
Mmmmmmm. Lots and lots suit you too, and alot of the ones that do are the really popular ones!
Let's go for the natural ones first.

These are highly sought after colours:
Kinda Sexy - Again, unsure if it is MAC stores / pro only, as it was taken off Concessions.
It's matte, and on warm skin tones ( and warmer lip tones ) it goes a lovely  peach/beige. I love this colour so much. I used it on a bride again the other day. It has a 'regal' feel. I don't know why, the colour just looks expensive!
Honey love - again, matte. This is a lovely nude for warmer skins. Again, the warmer your lip, it will go lighter. Try it first.
Velvet Teddy - Matte, deep brown tone.
Double Shot - A relaunch, now permanent. Amplified colour. Creamy. Looks amazing on warmer lips. It looks extremely dark in the bullet, but on warm lips, it either looks natural, or pinky/peach. Seriously, try this!
Taupe - Matte, Mid-tone brown.

You may think there are too many browns here  - I ADORE all the above colours. On a warm skin they look so beautiful, Id go as far as saying, I get jealous. Think of your Bollywood stars and think of Jennifer Lopez' skin tone, and the lipsticks she wears. These kind of looks will be achieved with the above colours.

Another popular is Frecktone. Its a Lustre, worn by Kim Kardashian. Peachy nude. Women usually turn their nose up when I show it them, then when they see it on. Their face lights up. Looks amazing teamed up with dark kohl, smokey eyes.....



Hug Me - Another Lustre ( glossy, sheer colour ) More brown/pink toned on medium skin tones.

Strong colours for you, again, are endless. It just depends how brave you are feeling.

I love strong pinks on your skin, I think they look really striking against the warmth of your skin.
Try:

Impassioned: Amplified, strong, electric pink. In a word, gorgeous.
Morange - Pure Orange. Heaven. Anything orange,peach on your skin tone is Red carpet territory.
Mehr - again, a relaunch, which is staying permanent. It's not strong, but it's pink. It's a bit warmer than Please me, that's why I like it on your skin tones, Please me could sometimes go ashy on your lips colour. This is a deeper matte pink. Lush.

Dark to Darkest Skins - NC45 NC50 NC55 NW45 NW50 NW55 NW58
I LOVE DARK SKINS! I love the warmth, the glow, the versatility. I love when I meet a client for the first time and they fall into the darkest of MAC foundations. I have always loved these skin tones, your skin is just amazing. So many colours flatter you, and you are lucky in the fact, that only one or two are needed to make such an impact.

Natural colours on you.
Jubilee - This is a lustre. Goes a soft glossy peach / beige nude on most dark skins. Remember try first.
Midimauve - Again a Lustre. Very sheer, has flecks of Gold through it.
Naked Paris - Plummy Lustre. Looks Glossy on.
Freckltone - Nude, peach. Lustre/Glossy
Sophisto - I think this is also a Lustre, Its always out of stock when I visit. Popular. Nude brown.

All the above colours come out nude on warmer skins. Again, with the warmth of some lips they can go lighter. None of the above colours are matte. So they wont go an ashy. grey tone, but still try them.
I use alot of these colours on warmer lip colours with MAC Chesnut lipliner, and it looks gorgeous.

Other colours to seriously consider:

Ruby woo - This colour suits everyone, but I absolutely love this on a darker skin. A fave of Rhianna
Girl about Town - Yum, this looks amazing on you.
Nikki Minaj Viva Glam Pink or Candy Yum yum. They can both go a little more towards the pale pink depending on the depth of you natural lip colour. Team it up with MAC Magenta lipliner to add warmth and definition.
Dubbonet - Amplified, glossy. Deep plum colour.
Rebel - Ooooooh ya. Just try it....
Hang Up - Red/ purple. Glossy and rich



I hope these guidlines have given you something to go on. As you know, MAC sell so many lipsticks, and hand on my heart, it is more about what YOU want to wear, and what you feel comfortable wearing.

An NC35 lady may love Kinda Sexy on herself, and another NC35 may hate it!

Go into you nearest store, with a definite idea of what you want. Don't just say I want a lipstick to suit me.
You need to be specific.
What is natural TO YOU. To some, natural is a mid pink, to others a complete nude is their idea of natural.
Do you want it matte or glossy. Sheer or solid colour.
Is it every day wear or evening?

Choosing a lipstick aint easy! At least now I hope you have some ideas, and you can walk into a MAC store confident and narrow down your choice, a little!

If you have any questions, just post below!

What are your favourite MAC lipsticks? What colours would you recommend?

Ruth E
x

Click here for more

Comments

  1. I love Kinda sexy one of my all time faves :) and lady danger is an absolute must have for a strong lip with black liner look ;)

    Hayley x

    www.onewaytickettogorgeous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love them both! I would never have tried Kinda Sexy on myself, but when I did I never went back!
      RuthE
      x

      Delete
  2. Love this post. I really want to get Shy Girl, I went in for that and came out with Ravishing oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ravishing is lovely too! I have that. Shy girl is defo my fave out of the both though :)
      RuthE
      x

      Delete
  3. This is ridiculously good timing as I have a hankering to build up my MAC lipstick collection but I'm the whitest thing ever and lipsticks are a make or break on paper white skin. Lovely blog. Sarah x

    http://skinperfecting.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thankyou for your lovely comment Sarah. I used to struggle as I have fair skin, but now I have such a huge range of MAC lipsticks - ranging from the lightest, darkest and brightest. I love them!
      RuthE
      x

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for posting a helpful post! Kinda Sexy is my favorite nude lipstick! I usually mix it with Craving to create an ombre effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for the tip Gits, I'm gonna try that out! Sounds lush!
      RuthE
      x

      Delete
  5. I'm in between nc25 and nw25. I love Angel, viva glam 2 and shy girl on my lips. Thank you for your wonderful suggestions :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh Viva Glam 2! How could I forget that? And viva glam 5! You wear good lipstick colours! Thankyou for your comment :)
      RuthE
      x

      Delete
  6. Thank you SO MUCH for doing this post! I'm an NW10 and I have had no idea what lipsticks to try! You're the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww you are welcome! I love lipsticks! MAC are by far, the best in the biz!
      RuthE

      Delete
  7. Thank you SO MUCH for doing this post! I'm an NW10 and I have had no idea what lipsticks to try! You're the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am NC35. Will Vegas Volt and Chatterbox suit me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegas Volt will defo flatter your warner skin. If your eyes are blue too, the coral/orange tone of Vegas Volt will also compliment your eye colour.
      Chatterbox would mostly depend on your lip colour. If your lips are darker, Chatterbox can go a little lighter, best to pop into your nearest store and try 'em on!
      Thank you for your comment :)
      RuthE
      x

      Delete
  9. Rebel looks so good! Definitely want to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That colour is one of my faves for autumn! Love it :)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,
      Please Me is a lovely Matte lipstick from MAC. It looks lovely on so many people, if you want something a little more natural try Angel which is more sheer.
      Ruby Woo would be an amazing colour on you - completely matte and very strong in pigment. Tap a little on your lips for more of a 'stained' look!

      Let me know how you get on!
      Ruth x

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Cheryl.
      You defo need a lipliner with Ruby woo - it will bleed and look like youve applied it by eating it! Go for Cherry lipliner.
      Please me - you could if you wanted - I dont. I just apply it with a lip brush so it has a nice finish. If you really wanted a lipliner try Soar which is a little warmer, so it gives a slight contour to lips.
      Pink treat cremestick lipliner - has a lovely texture and if I remember is a medium pink.
      In synch is quite a light lipliner - so looks like you are not really wearing one. It is quite light though - and can go very light on a warmer lip. Try is first!
      Powders - depends if you want coverage. I think when you wear a colour like ruby woo, you need a really good coverage. Try studio fix powder - use it with a brush, not powder puff. Gives you a lighter finish - and easier to build up. If you want an every day coverage go for a miinerlise natural finish powder.
      Blushers - with strong lip colours I go for neutral blushers. Tenderling looks really boring, but its a beautiful buildable colour when applied. Harmony is a popular colour to contour cheekbones. A few shades darker than Tenderling.
      With pinky colour lipsticks - try pink swoon ( looks really strong, its not ) or pinch o peach! both very pretty colours. If you have more of an olive skintone - fleur power is gorgeous.
      With blushers though, you need to try them with a good base and powder on. Otherwise the colours don't come out true and you just look flushed! An even skin base - will show the true blusher colour.

      Let me know what you go for!
      RuthE
      x

      Delete
  12. Hey Ruth! great info on the MAC lipsticks.:) I have some questions for you and really need your help. I tried Ruby Woo at a MAC store in Istanbul and it was very drying on my lips and they looked wrinkled. Does it help to apply a lipglass on Ruby Woo? And I like Russian Red and Ruby Woo both. Should I get them both or just one of them? I have a fair complexion with a pinkish tinge, please advice accordingly :) I'm in love with some nudes and neutral shades of MAC but I have a limited budget and I can only afford some. Im dying for these shades: Angel, Shy Girl, Frekletone, Please Me, Taupe, Creme Cup, Creme in Your Coffee, Cosmo, Peachstock, Blankety, Myself, Kinda Sexy, FreshBrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends. If you like your lips to look matte - then I would suggest MACs lip primer beforehand. It helps the lipstick glide on easier - not feeling so dry.
      With your skin colouring - Ruby Woo would look gorge.
      Ruth E
      x

      Delete
  13. Please tell me which of these nudes should I get for sure, considering my budget constraint and my complexion. Which ones will suit me? Which ones are similar? I want to know which ones are the must haves from this list.
    Regards
    Momina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defo go for the following:
      Kinda Sexy. It suits so many skintones. On a warmer lip it goes a gorgeous peach beige. On a lighter lip it goes a deep peach beige. Its matte and looks classic.
      If you are looking for a more sheer, glossy lipstick I would suggest FreshBrew or Freckltone. Again - dependant on your lip colour they will go cooler or lighter. Both are gorgeous if you are wearing strong eyemakeup.
      Pinky nude? Try Cosmo. One of my favourites - and its a great colour to mix with other lipsticks!
      Hope this all helps!

      RuthE
      x

      Delete
  14. I am looking few tips off makeup & got some useful tips from this post. Thanks for sharing for lipstick accessories etc.


    Buy lipstick & Best lip balms

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great article! I absolutely LOVE Mac lipsticks! Being very fair, I find that Blankety, Shy Girl, Ravishing, Creme Cup, Morange and Lady Danger look the best! Will give Creme de Nude a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I may be late but I have to say THANKS YOU!!!!! Going to check these shades out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts