The 'invisible' generation

A while ago, my mom said to me, if I could design a makeup lesson for the 'more mature' women, or cater my skill, for the 'more mature' women, I could make a lot of money.

My mom is in her mid 50s. She hate's being hounded my beauty girls when she walks through department store's and she's very select with what product's she buys. She like's samples, good manner's and someone who will listen to what it is she actually want's, as a pose to just sticking a brown eyeshadow on her 'cus she has blue eyes.

Working in the beauty world, I completely understand where she is coming from.

Certain makeup brands do, possibly, without realising it, unintentionally cater towards the 'younger' generation. Yes, I would say, ALL makeup brands could cater for the more mature woman, but many don't advertise the fact they do.

For example, when you think of 'mature' women, make up shopping. Which brands come to mind? Channel? Estee Lauder?
When you think of the 'younger generation', which brands spring to mind? MAC? Urban Decay? Benefit?

All these brands have makeup for all age's, yet many women 50 plus would not feel comfortable going to a counter such as MAC or Benefit.

Ive asked a few, why?
The most common answers:

They talk to me like I'm a teenager, or an old lady. ie: Talk down to me
I believe they think because I am older I do not fit in, and couldn't possibly have any reason to be there.
In the past when I have approached these counters I have been made up so strongly, it has put me off.

I served a lovely lady the other day called Margaret. I would say she was late 50s, early sixties.
She was booked in for a make up application.

Now, because I have worked in the make up industry such a long time, I am confident in doing makeup on all ages.
She was very nervous to start, as she explained she had never, ever, had a make over done before. Her family had booked it for her birthday.
I instantly knew I would enjoy doing her makeup. Why? Because she appreciated the time I took asking questions. She was happy that I took an interest in what she already used and she 'felt comfortable in knowing that no question she asked was silly'.
She asked so many questions that I though I would do a 'mini-makeup' post for the more mature women.

Now, the most popular makeup for mature women, is very classic, polished and pulled together. They rarely like to look 'over done'.

I have found the following questions and queries are the most requested.

I want my skin to look plumped, youthful, fresh, natural and even, but not caked in make up.
I want my eyes to stand out, but not look overly done. I do not want to have to spend hours getting ready in the morning.
My eyes seem to be more 'sunk' than they used to be, and the skin of my lids hangs more, making my eyes look smaller.
My eyebrows are sparse.


Susan Sarandon. Looks absolutely incredible for 65. Natural Make up and colours that complement her skin and hair colouring.


The above, most requested concerns are easily addressed.
So here you are!

If you want your skin to appear more plumped than get the skincare in order. Many mature women have an idea of what suits their skin and what doesn't. This is another reason I love working with them, they know what works for them already. They know their mind, and are not afraid to speak it!
Layering your moisturisers is a great way to plump the skin. You can also add a little facial oil to your moisturiser or just to very dry, dehydrated ares. Just watch how much you apply, too much and you will look more greasy, than plumped up!

Sheer foundation look great on you skin. Even a concealer just buffed in where it is needed is also a great alternative. Fuller coverage,oil free and overly powdered makeup will accentuate fine lines, on any age skin and instantly make the skin look tired and lack- lustre.


Helen Mirren. 66 years old. I think her acting is just as fantastic as her good looks. She is stunning. Always look elegant.


Eyes - Ahh, I love this feature. Eyes tell a story. The lady I did earlier in the week, Margaret. Had stunning blue eyes. She never wore eyeshadow and she 'hated' eyeliner. In her words, it made her eyes look tired and small.....
Now, she explained that the skin on her eyelid was starting to hang and she felt it was making her look tired.
Again, less is more.
I used only one eye colour on Margaret. An orange under-toned, matte brown, which brought out the blue perfectly.
Margaret also commeted her eyelashes were sparse.
So wanting to make her eyes bigger and lashes looking fuller, I suggested an eyeliner.
She looked horrified. I adapted the eyeliner to her individuality and eye shape.
So, I pressed a chocolate brown colour into her top lashes only. I did one eye, The difference was amazing.
Her eyes looked more shaped, larger and her lashes thicker. All with one product. Don't underestimate the power of eyeliner. I used a gel one, as a pose to a pencil.

Matte eyeshadows are always more flattering as they do not reflect light, therefore do not enhance fine lines.

If you are worried about 'sunken eyes' the good old dark verses light trick is paramount. Dark recedes, light brings forward.
So use lighter colours as a base to 'pull' your eyes forward. Yoghurt/Ivory/Biscuit colors would be perfect.


Meryl Streep. Was always so pretty, still is. She has the best cheekbones in the business. I would love to work on this face.

As lashes thin, so do brows. I have found a soft eyeshadow, a little lighter than the hair colour, helps frame the face but also 'lift' the eye. See it as a mini eye lift. It works.

Lastly, lips. Usually, lips tend to get smaller with age. A very soft lipliner before lipstick is a great idea as it helps re-define the lip and give the illusion of fullness.
Lip glosses on top of lipsticks are a great way to really enhance the lip.

After I had completed Margarets makeup, she was so happy and she looked incredible.
In her words, she looked and felt like 'a new woman'

I love doing makeup for, as my mom would say, 'the invisible generation'. Less is so much more on you, and it takes the fewest product's to make the biggest difference.

Why not book yourself in for a make up lesson?

RuthE
x

Comments

  1. Nice post. I sometimes do my mum's makeup, and what would look great on someone younger does not suit her. But that definitely doesn't mean older ladies can't wear it, it's just about finding different techniques and being a bit more subtle. Loving all the pictures you posted too, fab women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I see some women of 50plus who look incredible, and have got their makeup techniques spot on, and work their features perfectly!
      RuthE
      x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts